Friday, December 19, 2008

Jam Jams


See this? This is an, ahem, opened Christmas gift. It’s not even mine although I did ask the recipient’s permission before I cut the tape and Iain and I dove into them. The fact that the recipient is currently attending a Christmas party and had likely downed a couple of alcoholic beverages before I called for permission does not mean that I was asking when he was weak. Rather, I feel it shows excellent planning on my part.

Additionally, I certainly did not call up the gift giver (Hello, Mudder!) and ask her permission on whether or not I could open DH’s Christmas present before Christmas. Oh no! I already know what her response would be, the same response I received to that question for over 2 decades of living at home,

“No! You cannot open Christmas presents before Christmas morning!”

She’s over 1,000 kilometres away and, despite the guilt I’m sure I’m going to experience when she reads this post, it’s simply too late to stop us, Mudder.

Here is a little story about these cookies called ‘Jam Jams’ in Newfoundland and Labrador. In fact, they are a specialty where I come from. Purity makes them and most years, DH would get a Purity Jam Jams package or two with his birthday and/or Christmas gift from Mudder and Fadder. Until the year Mudder decided that DH should be made the homemade kind. The first words out of DH’s mouth when we arrived in Mudder’s kitchen and he saw them were,

“I didn’t know Jam Jams could be homemade (a small eye roll here as Newfoundland and Labrador has been settled longer than Purity has been making and packaging Jam Jams and he is a bright enough guy to have figured that out but, I digress)!”.

Yes, DH, it was a carefully guarded secret so that I wouldn’t be forced/cajoled/begged/pleaded with to make them at our house on a regular basis. They aren’t that hard, I’m just a lazy baker and usually stick to squares or drop cookies when I bake.

Ever since, whenever we go home or on special events such as birthdays and holidays, DH receives a box of Mudder’s homemade Jam Jams.

And, according to this picture, it looks as though it’s like father like son around here!

The fact that a box of homemade cookies inspired me to write a blog post after so long really speaks volumes about the importance of treats in my holiday world! In case I don’t get back before the big day, a very Merry Christmas from all of us at Chez Fibreholic!

7 comments:

Lydee said...

good post! crack me up!

Yarnhog said...

Oh, yum! Good call on not asking for Mother's permission first. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission, I always say. But, not being from Newfoundland myself, I've...um...never heard of jam jams before. What are they?

Jen said...

Cookies! *drool* :)

They look yummy.

Elizabeth said...

Yum Yum indeed. Those look scrumptious!!! Happy Holidays to you too.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

A very merry Christmas to you as well!!

Alisha said...

Oh I can not tell you how much I love Christmas for all the great goodies!

I would have broke into those and ate them all!

Hope your holidays have been merry!

Jen Taylor said...

I hope your holidays were absolutely wonderful! I've been thinking about your trip through Maine and sights to see. I have a lot of ideas but I'm not sure what you'd be interested in seeing. What sorts of things are you interested in? With that said, when you pass through my hometown of Skowhegan, Maine (as mentioned) visit the statue of the Indian. I'll send directions soon.