Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Short Holiday


For a treat, and as part of our ‘thank you for putting up with us’ present for Mudder and Fadder, DH and I planned a night for all of us at the Sheraton St. John’s last Saturday. Like the best laid plans, we neglected to book the weather appropriately so we had a wee snow storm instead. Therefore, we postponed the holiday to Sunday. We had a great time. By the time I got back to my parents on Monday evening, I felt like I had been away for a week!

We checked in around 5:00 PM to two lovely rooms (we had the room with the two doubles and Mudder and Fadder had the room with the king sized bed to themselves). Great service – there was milk and cookies waiting for us in our rooms when we arrived! After changing, we all traipsed down to the pool and hot tub. Aidan and I spent most of our time poolside taking pictures. Actually, Aidan spent all of his time pool side.

I managed to get in the water for a couple of laps before we decided supper was way overdue for the toddler.
After the pool and cleaning up, we went to the Narrows Lounge (the only restaurant open in house as they are currently working on renovations to their eating establishments) for a gorgeous supper meal. The staff was very accommodating and we practically had the place to ourselves. Aidan slept through the whole meal and Iain was in a television induced coma which assisted the adults in having a conversation.

Iain does not get to watch much television. DH and I do not watch much ourselves and I really do not want our children watching much. It has been a struggle with guilt over the past few months to accept that perhaps the television is not as evil as I sometimes perceive it to be. It might actually help me get supper ready without the screaming matches that usually occur when I am unable to find something else for Iain to do. And the DVD player has really become an asset in the van when I have to pull over to nurse Aidan or when Iain is yelling “OUT!” of his car seat. The poor child really has had to endure quite a bit more driving than he has ever been used to these past few months as I have been driving back and forth from Upper Gullies to St. John’s for children’s programs (not that there aren’t any closer to where my parents live but I stubbornly wanted to get to know families in the area where we were looking for a house rather than starting over again when we finally found a home).

Anyways, that long story is to introduce this picture of Iain in another television induced coma as I desperately tried to get us out the door to a program at 9:00 AM on Monday morning.

I wonder if all children are like this when they do not watch a lot of television? I’m pretty sure I look like this when I am watching television...

The child was too enthralled to even smile for the camera with me (cruel mother that I am, I am holding his head towards the camera in this, the best of all four shots)!


Here is Aidan enjoying his view on the floor.

He is almost ready to move off that quilt under his own steam and has progressed to being up on his knees and rocking back and forth this week. Heaven help me!

DH, the children and I enjoyed breakfast and the sunrise over The Narrows. Both bedrooms had a view of The Narrows and Signal Hill and it was just gorgeous.


All in all, it was a great break and did not even feel that short. Next I’m off to find a chocolate bar. Elizabeth tells me that that is the secret ingredient to getting through this move. I received a 1 kg bar (so more of a chocolate slab?) of Cadbury’s Dairy Milk chocolate from the motherland of chocolate (the UK – my brother was there before Christmas. Thanks again!). Now, all I need to do is find the box I put it in…

1 comment:

Lydee said...

beautiful view!!!
sounds like fun.