Monday, October 23, 2006

WE’RE GOING TO THE LAND ‘DOWN UNDER’!

Several of you were right this time – I must give awfully good hints! Ha! Yes, we’re headed to Australia. SD has to go for business meetings and there was no way I could let him go without me! Neither of us has been to Australia before. One of my brother’s (the one who is 1.5 years younger – I have two brothers and one sister) could probably give you some indication of how excited I am about going to Australia. I’ve been obsessed with the country ever since grade seven when I had a group geography project on the continent. The fact that my new-found love of knitting also means that I’ll be interested in the wool produced in Australia is an added bonus.

We will fly into Sydney but only spend two nights in Sydney in all. Most of our time will be spent in Adelaide. So, come on bloggers, anyone know of any neat yarn stores in and around Adelaide? I have already scoped out some suggestions from the general Internet but personal experience is preferred!

I finished the second sleeve from my mystery project last night while I was chatting with different family members on the phone! Well, I have yet to cast off but I still feel I’ve reached the point where I have a right to call that part of the project ‘finished’! Mind you, it might take me until the end of the week to actually get it cast off...

My parents head off this morning (Newfoundland time) to the UK to visit my brother, D, and sister-in-law, L, (and sister who also happens to be visiting from Newfoundland at the moment). They will be away 7 weeks in total. My mother is absolutely PETRIFIED of flying. Maybe petrified is an understatement. When we lived in Germany, my father managed to get her to come for a visit five or six years ago. Most of us never thought she would do it again, including my mother.

My brother and sister-in-law are looking at moving to Australia in 2007 (she’s Australian) and I don’t know if it’s possible for Mom to go on that long of an airplane trip. Thus the lengthy trip this time to visit their eldest son, to get to know L a bit better and to research some family tree information. Mudder is also very much into genealogy.

Off to school. Hmmm. School. I’d almost forgotten about that…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH!!! I've been there to! and LOVED it even more than New Zealand!!! was an amazing trip.. have a fabulous time! and double check to see if the airlines will let you bring knitting on board it is a LONG flight LOL... I know for a while they were letting you bring on circulars (which I don't understand seems they would be more dangerous than straights!)

Can't wait to hear all about it, I wasn't a knitter when I was there so I can't point you in the direction of an LYS but I can tell you a spin by the Opera House is well worth it!

Samantha said...

Wow ~ Australia! How exciting!

froggiemeanie said...

I'm so jealous I could die. When I was a kid, our school librarian went to Australia and then showed the school a slide show of the trip. I was maybe in Grade 3 and when I saw Ayres Rock - in love. That was before I even knew about the sheep. Now I reallllllly want to go. Hmmmmm, how big is your suitcase? Will it hold me?

Anonymous said...

OK, we are going to forgive your lack of new blogging cause we know where you are... or at least where you are planning on going but I'm dying for details :)

Hope you are having a BLAST!!