Monday, October 27, 2008

Did You Know?

That a week ago today, DH, Iain and I were in Newfoundland? I know, I know, I didn't tell you, did I?

We left here at o’dark early Saturday morning, October 18th, for a 7:15 AM flight and returned on an o’ungodly early 5:30 AM flight from St. John’s on Tuesday, October 21st. It was a quick trip but a wonderful one. The Atlantic smells the best to me when I’m home and it was so nice to get big hugs from Mudder, Fadder, one of my Little Bro’s that is living on the island right now and our SIL, especially considering everything else that has gone on with us over the past month and a half.

This picture was taken on the flight to Newfoundland – Iain enjoying the great Air Canada ‘food’ (aka the food we brought with us).

Although short, we actually managed to see almost every person we usually see on a two week visit home (my apologies to Aunt J and Uncle L in Mount Pearl who we didn't manage to see. I am ashamed…(picture me with my head hung in shame here)). Newfoundland is prettier in the fall than I remember and that I really, really miss my home province. Sadly, we have very few pictures taken with Iain and our relatives so I am counting on my Fadder for some pictures of our trip (yes, that is a hint, Fadder!).

This is one of the reasons why I miss home. Here are some shots of Iain heading for the North Atlantic from my parents front garden. It’s a good thing it isn’t pretty….

DH told me that Iain had his hands right in the water. That child has no fear and no sense of cold either as it’s looking pretty chilly to me out there!

DH took these pictures while Mudder and I were off for a shopping trip to Dominion (a local supermarket chain known as the Superstore in other parts of Canada). When family is visiting from ‘away’ (that’s what Newfoundland and Labradorians call anywhere outside the province), you can be guaranteed that there will be a crowd at the house that wants and needs a feed.

On the way back from the island, we were all exhausted. Not only was it an early flight but we were up late the night before with Iain who, for the first time, got really, really carsick on our way home from my brother’s place in St. John’s. We all had a really rough night. By ‘morning’ (I use that term loosely as 3:00 AM when our alarm went off is not really morning as far as I’m concerned), we had been up with Iain several times, he was running a fever and had to be dosed up with Tylenol. Not. Fun. Therefore, by the time we boarded the plane, we were very tired. DH told me that the flight attendants were poking fun at the exhausted parents when they went by with the service cart as the three of us were sitting there with our mouths hung open, sleeping. I didn’t even hear the cart go by.

We spent the rest of the week recovering and, ahem, sewing…

1 comment:

JustApril said...

What gorgeous pictures, I love the one with Iain and the rocks! Sounds like a great time, except for the car sickness. My DD went through that for about a year, every time we went for a road trip, pass her the barf bag. Fortunately she had a trip to the emergency room just prior to the surfacing of the car sickness faze, and while there started throwing up for no apparent reason. (probably the stink of the ER, she's SO sensitive to smell) and they prescribed us the BEST anti-nausea stuff out there, and it lasted us the whole year. AWESOME