Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fallish Fun

Autumn is my favourite time of the year. It is probably not surprising that my favourite colour is orange, followed by brown. I love the colours, the smells, the fresh breezes that come with the change of season. I love the harvesting, the preserving and freezing, the baking. I love the feeling that snow is on it's way but that we still have some glorious days to get outside and play without the heavy layers required by winter temperatures.

I also really love sharing this season with my little boy. Although this is Iain's second autumn, it kind of feels like his first as he was so wee last year and, really, not so much into the whole autumn season. He was more into the 'keep me warm and where is my food source?' kind of mind frame. This year, though, things have changed.

Iain loves apples. It's unfortunate that he does not yet have the grinding teeth required to eat them properly so he ends up spitting out quite a bit of skin and apple when he gets his mouth full. He really enjoys the challenge though!




He is also so interested in anything and everything!





Here is he quite seriously contemplating diving into the water fountain during our visit to Victoria, BC.






We have really enjoyed our first pumpkin harvest from our very own garden!



Our pumpkins are gently ripening up now that they are scattered around the house and yard as decorations and not under their frost bitten vines. I find it very satisfying each time I see one of them peeking up at me.

Go, sit upon the lofty hill,
And turn your eyes around,
Where waving woods and waters wild
Do hymn an autumn sound.
The summer sun is faint on them -
The summer flowers depart -
Sit still - as all transform'd to stone,
Except your musing heart.

3 comments:

Yarnhog said...

What a beautiful, beautiful little boy. Just wait until you see how much fun the holidays are with a toddler!

Lydee said...

He is a beautiful baby. He's not really a baby though anymore, he's getting big! The pictures are so precious.

I love your pumpkins; you can be proud of them.

Lovely poem. I love autumn too.

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Glad to hear that you're back.

Nice pumpkins. This is my favourite season, too.

If you'd like, I'll be happy to teach you to knit continental.